The Nook’s coaching staff has contributed to the success of many of the area’s top baseball players because the Nook Baseball Academy capitalizes on each player’s potential. The coaches behind the academy have been beginners and have been professionals, so they understand what it takes to reach the top. Our coaching development program provides opportunities for our coaching staff to sharpen their coaching skill-set and broaden their knowledge to ensure our athletes are getting the best training available. With great training comes great success! Click below to read each coach’s bio.
- Solanco High School 2004-2008: All Section 2 1st Team Pitcher and Outfielder 2x, Lead team in HRs with 7 (2011), LL League Champions, District 3 Champions
- Milllersville University 2008-2012: 2011 Altantic Region Champions, 2011 PSAC East Champions, Played in 2011 Division 2 College World Series, Pitched in over a 150 innings in college career, 2011 lead team in ERA 1.67, WHIP .889, with opponents’ batting average .154
- Valley League All Star Selection 1st Team 2011 Summer (0.9 ERA 8 saves, 25K’s in 15 innings)
- Carson City High School (NV) Pitching Coach (2014)- Team ERA 3.34, 2 pitcher named 1st team all-league
- Manheim Township Assistant Coach in the Fall of 2014
- Spooky Nook 12U Fall 2015
Joe Russo is the son of a coach. He started playing ball at a young age in Long Island, NY. Like many kids, baseball was used as a way to spend time with his father (Joe Russo Sr.). His father’s guidance helped him through Little League and on to High School. The two shared a love for the game that is unparalleled.
During his high school and college playing careers, Joe sustained several injuries. When his playing days were over, he discovered a new passion for coaching. Now, more than 20 years later, Coach Russo brings over two decades of youth baseball coaching experience, including a 1994 18U National Championship to the Spooky Nook Academy.
Coach Russo is a player’s coach with a philosophy anchored around the fundamentals. He feels that in baseball, at the youth level, players should always be enjoying the game, having fun, learning, and getting better at every turn. He measures success not by his winning percentage, but by the growth of his players.
- Hitting Coach for Hempfield High School 2005-2012 - Trained with Kevin Long, Yankees Hitting Coach - Coached AAU Tri-State Arsenal National Team - Coached youth baseball teams in Hempfield & Mountville - 2003 – Went 51-0 & won the Cooperstown Dreams Park Championship with the Mountville Indians - Owner & Trainer at Susquehanna Baseball Facility
- 20+ years of coaching experience - Coached at Franklin & Marshall as an assistant - Head Coached at Millersville University - Specializes in pitching and catching instruction - Offers expertise in the mental game, focusing on incremental daily progress to achieve a goal Hour sessions with Coach Swarr will include a head-to-toe warm-up, throwing program, and instruction linked specifically to the individual player’s strengths and weaknesses.
- Played for the New York Mets Organization (5 Years) - Played for the Lancaster Barnstormers Organization (10 years) - Most innings pitched in Barnstormers history - 2nd all-time in wins in Barnstormers history - All-American at Crisp County Georgia High School - All-American at Middle Georgia Junior College - Once struck out 20 Batters in one game (High School) - Named Pitcher Of The Year with the New York – Penn League - Advanced to the Capitol City Bombers and finished among the top 5 in ERA South Atlantic League - Coached high school baseball as an assistant in Georgia